Monday, August 24, 2009

Reading the newspaper

I'm a creature of habit, I know, but I never feel as if I get off to a good start unless I have my cup of tea and read the morning paper before the rest of my day begins.

Today I learned that children's author Karla Kuskin has died. I remember reading her book The Philharmonic Gets Dressed to my son many years ago. Our library doesn't own that particular book, but we've got several others she wrote, and you might like to try them out on a young friend.

I also learned that Julia Child's book, Mastering the Art of French Cooking has become a bestseller thanks to the popularity of the movie Julie and Julia. I went to see the movie last night, and thought that the sections about Julia Child were the best parts of the film, and Meryl Streep makes a terrific Child. Boeuf Bourguignon plays a prominent role in the film, and I am now inspired to try making it once we get past Labor Day.

No comments: